Director of Development
Join HAVEN’s team of professionals whose mission is to eliminate sexual assault and domestic violence and to empower survivors through advocacy and social change in and around Oakland County, Michigan.
Position Summary: Serving as HAVEN’s chief development officer, the Director will: drive collaborative fundraising strategies by building meaningful and lasting relationships with donors; develop and implement a robust plan for lead generation to ensure that HAVEN reaches its full philanthropic potential; identify, cultivate and solicit donors for major gifts, corporate support and planned giving including bequests, trusts and annuities; lead the Development team; ensure successful planning and execution of primary and third party events; manage branding and reputational management; and, oversight of PR, marketing and grant applications and guidelines. This position reports to the President / CEO of HAVEN and the Foundation Board Chair and works closely with the Board of Directors as well as internal and external committees.
Qualifications: Required: Bachelor degree in Public Relations, Marketing, Communications or related field; 6-8 years of progressive work experience in fundraising, public relations and/or marketing in order to meet objectives and manage a professional level fundraising staff; a record of progressive leadership and achievement in fundraising or relevant field; demonstrated success in multiple facets of fundraising with emphasis on solicitation, donor stewardship, and planned giving cultivation; demonstrated understanding of ethics related to development activities; ability to exercise discretion in interactions with donors and prospects; ability to articulate HAVEN’s vision, mission, needs, opportunities and aspirations with clarity and enthusiasm. The Director must be an exceptional fundraiser, an accomplished motivator and mentor, an effective manager of people and a visionary change agent who has a proven track record in successfully implementing comprehensive development programs. Preferred: Understanding of and sensitivity to domestic violence and sexual assault issues; proficient with computer applications for fund raising and experience with Raiser’s Edge; ability to move/carry a minimum of 20 lbs (donation boxes, event supplies, etc.).
Key Competencies: Building Relationships and Partnerships, Interpersonal Savvy, Negotiation Skills, Strategic Agility, Detail Orientation
Leadership and Administrative:
- Serve as a member of the senior leadership team and provide professional and administrative leadership for HAVEN
- Implement and evaluate development plans
- Provide leadership to agency development efforts from initial phases through project completion
- Ensure development functions, including fund raising, budget, public relations and marketing, and volunteer and intern activities, are in compliance with overall agency goals and objectives as well as funding sources; develop and/or interpret established guidelines
- Provide leadership to the development, implementation, and evaluation of agency strategic planning process
- Provide technical expertise and training to Board of Trustees and Board of Directors
- Serve as primary agency liaison to Board of Directors’ committees as identified by CEO and to the Foundation Board of Trustees
- Serve as a primary spokesperson for the agency along with other senior management leaders
- Prepare and submit the annual Foundation budget in coordination with Director of Business Operations
- Assist in the recruitment of new members of the Foundation Board of Trustees
- Responsible for the training, supervision, professional development and evaluation of Development Manager and development staff
- Develop and execute a balanced fund development program that involves members of both the HAVEN Board of Directors and that of the Foundation, prospective donors from the greater southeast Michigan community, corporation and foundations
- Develop and implement a comprehensive strategy to grow the HAVEN endowment fund/legacy plan giving in order to secure long term financial support of the agency.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate a variety of giving opportunities for donors which may include annual giving, planned giving and individual donor giving as determined through the agency strategic plan
- Lead process of implementation, and evaluation of individual, local group, foundation, and corporate giving, sponsorships, and solicitation
- Ensure utilization of invitations, letters of inquiry, appeal letters, thank you letters, special recognition to donors and volunteers
- Ensure donor/prospect tracking and donor/prospect mailing systems is up to date
- Research potential funding sources with particular emphasis on major giving resources
Grant Writing: Identify and pursue new grant opportunities and support grant writer as needed
PR/Marketing/Community Relations: Oversee branding, agency reputation, community perception, etc. and support Marketing/PR professional on strategic plan development and implementation
Hours: Full time
Compensation: Commensurate with experience, plus a generous benefit package including paid time off, holidays, medical, dental, vision, short term disability insurance and 401K
HAVEN is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, volunteers and clients. We respect equality and inclusivity for all people and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or other marginalized identities. We respect, value and celebrate the unique attributes, characteristics and perspectives that make each person who they are.
Send cover letter, resume and compensation requirements to: email@example.com. Please include HAVEN and the position title in the subject line.