HAVEN’s Residential Program
HAVEN’s residential program is Oakland County’s only 24-hour emergency shelter exclusively for domestic violence and sexual assault victims and their children.
If you need a place to go, call our Crisis and Support Line at 248-334-1274, or chat live with us online.
The HAVEN shelter is offered free of charge.
Every victim is asked to go through a screening process before coming into the shelter. Screenings for the shelter are done through the crisis and support line. Screenings ensure that the individual’s needs match our mission and guiding principles. Individuals needing other types of shelter or services are assisted with referrals.
Access to our shelter is available only through the Crisis and Support Line at 248-334-1274.
If you have experienced domestic violence and sexual assault, you and your children may be eligible to stay at the shelter.
- Men are allowed to stay at the shelter if they are being sexually abused or hurt by their wife, girlfriend or partner.
- If you are a child (under 18) without a parent, you cannot stay at the shelter, but staff will help you find another place to stay.
- Emancipated minors are welcome to stay at our shelter.
Victims entering the shelter will need to live peacefully with a diverse variety of individuals who may differ in their beliefs, values and goals.
For safety reasons, guests may not visit residents on-site.
Children are welcome at the shelter.
We have special programs and activities for children in our shelter. They go to school, receive counseling, and are offered a variety of supportive groups as well as respite activities (going to the waterpark, a ball game, a playground, etc.). We make sure that all programs help children to feel safe, secure and loved even though it is a difficult time.
- The shelter is a communal living environment. For single women, bedrooms may be shared. Our current bathroom and shower areas are also shared, as are TV viewing and dining areas.
- Residents are asked to help with the chores just like they would do at home.
- Three meals plus snacks are offered daily.
- Residents work with a counselor to achieve individualized goals that help move them out of crisis situations. There are a variety of group offerings to provide both support and information on meeting basic needs.
- Some transportation is available for business and medical appointments.
The average stay is about 28 days. However, you can stay longer depending on your circumstances.
When the shelter is full, staff will help you find another place to stay.Donate to the HAVEN shelter today.